Education PS Bitok to appear before MPs next Tuesday after explaining absence

Education PS Bitok to appear before MPs next Tuesday after explaining absence

Basic Education Principal Secretary Julius Bitok appearing before the National Assembly’s Education Committee on February 19, 2026.

Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

Basic Education Principal Secretary Julius Bitok is set to appear before the National Assembly’s Education Committee next Tuesday following his absence from a scheduled budget presentation, which he attributed to a miscommunication.

The PS appeared before the lawmakers later on Thursday to clarify what the committee had earlier termed as a snub of its invitation, offering an apology and reaffirming his respect for Parliament.

“Let me begin by registering my apologies to the committee for turning up late. Earlier there was a miscommunication and I take responsibility for what happened that occasioned these events. I want to say I’m very sorry to the committee because a committee of Parliament is a very serious engagement and we have no intention whatsoever to disrespect or ignore any summons,” Bitok said.

He sought the committee’s indulgence while commending legislators for their continued support to the education sector through increased budgetary allocations.

“I also want to thank this committee for the work you have done to ensure the education sector in Kenya is strong. Looking at the budget you have allocated to education — over KSh702 billion — it has never happened in the history of this country. We are really impressed as a department and ministry,” he added.

Bitok confirmed his readiness to appear before the committee on the rescheduled date, expressing hope for continued collaboration to advance the interests of learners across the country.

“We are ready to appear on Tuesday as directed and we look forward to a cordial working relationship with the committee so that we can further the interests of Kenyan learners,” he said.

Committee Chairperson Julius Melly acknowledged the PS’s explanation, noting that members had not received timely communication regarding his earlier absence.

“Because the team was tired and now it is late, PS, we shall agree you had a lot of national engagements. However, we did not get proper communication. As a committee, we will reschedule you to Tuesday morning to make your presentation,” Melly said.

The session will now allow the Ministry of Education to formally present and defend its budgetary proposals before the National Assembly of Kenya committee, which is mandated to oversee policy, funding, and implementation matters in the education sector.

The rescheduled meeting comes amid heightened parliamentary scrutiny of education spending and reforms as lawmakers seek accountability on the utilisation of the record allocation to the sector.

Tags:

Education Julius Melly Julius Bitok

Want to send us a story? SMS to 25170 or WhatsApp 0743570000 or Submit on Citizen Digital or email wananchi@royalmedia.co.ke

Leave a Comment

Comments

No comments yet.