How to check your CRB status if you default on a loan
A positive CRB listing means a loan that is being serviced (loan repayment is consistent) and negative means a loan that went on default (no payments).
So when is a Negative listing submitted to a CRB?
It takes 90 days for banks and 30 days for mobile lenders after which individuals are notified that they are going to be listed if they don’t make any payment on their loan.
There are several CRBs licensed by the Central Bank of Kenya to collect, manage and share financial information. They include:
- TransUnion (CRB Africa)
- Metropol Corporation
To check your CRB status on TransUnion:
- You first need to register by sending your full names to 21272. The SMS charges is sh. 19. To save on this money, download the TransUnion Nipashe app.
- You then enter your ID number
- Choose Credit Status
- You will receive your CRB status. If you receive good, it means you are not blacklisted while default means blacklisted.
To check your status on Metropol Corporation:
- First pay a registration fee of sh.50 through the paybill number 220388 then enter your ID number as the account number.
- You will get a SMS with a unique pin, a reference number and a special link
- Dial *433# and put your PIN and you will receive your CRB status. You can also visit the metropol website, Login and view you status.
To check your status on CreditInfo, you will need to fill their request form online.
The likelihood of getting listed by CRB is very high if you default on a loan.
In order to get yourself out of the list, you have to clear your outstanding loan (s).
If you are unable to clear it in one go, you can negotiate the terms of repayment with your lender.
Additional information from https://ke.creditinfo.com/
No comments yet.