Simple recipe for chicken with breadcrumbs
Chicken with breadcrumbs is popular with children and adults too because of the crispy taste.
It can be eaten as a meal on its own or with accompaniments such as potatoes, rice, ugali, salad and even pancakes.
Unless it is kuku kienyeji, chicken does not require much time to prepare it because of its tenderness.
Top chefs such as Martha Stewart sometimes alternate breadcrumbs either with cornflakes or flour and spices.
‘…fried chicken turns extra-crisp — and stays that way for hours after cooking,” Stewart says.
Some spices that can add flavor to chicken with breadcrumbs include paprika, chili powder, black pepper, celery, dried sage, garlic powder, allspice, oregano, basil or marjoram.
Below is a simple recipe for chicken with breadcrumbs:
- 3 large eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 and a 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 8 thin chicken cutlets
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- Whisk eggs with teaspoon salt; let stand 5 minutes.
- In another dish, season flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- In a third dish, season breadcrumbs with 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a frying pan, heat oil over medium.
- Meanwhile, pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Coat in flour, shaking off excess, then dip in egg (letting excess drip off).
- Dredge in breadcrumbs, turning twice and patting to adhere.
- Increase heat to medium-high.
- Working in batches, add chicken to skillet until chicken is browned, about 4 minutes.
- Turn with tongs; cook until browned and opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes more (if browning too quickly, lower heat).
- Between batches, skim off brown crumbs from oil with a slotted spoon.
- Drain chicken on paper towels; season with salt.
- Serve with lemon wedges or preferred accompaniment