Government gives Ksh.70M to resettle Lang’ata fire victims
Published on: January 29, 2018 06:54 (EAT)
Deputy President William Ruto has said the government will spend Ksh.70 million to resettle families that were displaced by the fire that broke out at Kijiji slums, in Lang’ata estate, Nairobi. Four people among them a child died in the fire incident that also left 14,000 families homeless. Speaking in Kijiji area where he condoled with the affected families, Mr. Ruto regretted that property worth millions of shillings had been destroyed, terming the incident as unfortunate. “The department of Special Programmes and the Provincial Administration will be given Ksh.70 million to begin the process of rebuilding the houses as soon as possible,” said Mr Ruto. The DP, who was accompanied by Lang’ata MP Nixon Korir, said the fire could not be contained last night because of lack of water and lack of access road to the affected areas. “Unfortunately, the fire could not be put out on time because of water shortage. I live near this area and I know the major problem in this area is water shortage. The fire engines that were deployed by the governor to put out the fire could also not contain the situation due to lack of water. But we will find a solution to this problem and also rebuild the burnt houses,” he said. Mr. Ruto said the National Youth Service will aid in the reconstruction of houses, establish access roads, improve drainage and facilitate a return to normalcy. Meanwhile, Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has suspended the County Director in Charge of Fire Department, Brian Chunguli Kisali, over the fire incident. In a letter issued by the Acting County Secretary, Mr Chunguli was accused of negligence was given a 14-day period to show cause why he should not be summarily dismissed from service.