KeNHA targets Roysambu after Githurai demolitions in crackdown on illegal structures on Thika Road

KeNHA targets Roysambu after Githurai demolitions in crackdown on illegal structures on Thika Road

KeNHA on February 19, 2026 demolished illegal structures around the Githurai roundabout area to provide designated spaces for buses and matatus. PHOTO | COURTESY

Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

The Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) will undertake a fresh clearance of illegal structures at the Roysambu Roundabout as part of expanded efforts to improve transport infrastructure, enhance mobility, and promote road safety along the busy Thika Superhighway.

The authority, in a statement released on Friday, said the exercise will pave the way for the construction of a modern bus park designed to streamline public transport operations, reduce congestion, and create safer boarding and drop-off points for passengers.

The Roysambu operation follows a similar clearance that was undertaken at Githurai on Thursday, where illegal structures that had encroached onto the road reserve were removed to make space for another modern bus park.

“The structures had encroached onto the road reserve, posing significant safety risks to thousands of motorists and pedestrians within the busy market area. Over time, this section has recorded numerous road safety incidents — a trend the Authority is firmly committed to reverse,” read the statement.

KeNHA said the planned facilities will provide designated spaces for buses and matatus, improving order and efficiency while reducing the chaotic roadside stops that often choke traffic and endanger commuters.

The State body added that improved access from the Githurai Roundabout to the highway will further strengthen connectivity and ease congestion.

More than 1,000 traders at Githurai market were left counting heavy losses after their stalls were demolished in the wee hours of Thursday morning.

The KeNHA operation came barely a day after traders staged protests against the planned demolition.

The traders said the move crippled their livelihoods, leaving many without a source of living.

Although they had been issued a vacation notice, the traders faulted the government for failing to provide them with alternative trading spaces before the demolition.

They said the stalls were their only means of survival and accused authorities of pushing them into poverty.

The traders also criticised the government for making what they termed empty promises to end forced demolitions across the country, saying the latest operation contradicted those assurances.

Tags:

KeNHA Githurai Demolition Roysambu

Want to send us a story? SMS to 25170 or WhatsApp 0743570000 or Submit on Citizen Digital or email wananchi@royalmedia.co.ke

Leave a Comment

Comments

No comments yet.