Kenyans locked in and out of Nairobi, Kiambu, Machakos, Kajiado and Nakuru allowed until Sunday 8pm to travel
Published on: March 27, 2021 06:20 (EAT)
Kenyans locked in or out of the One Zoned Area of Nairobi, Kiambu, Machakos, Kajiado and Nakuru Counties that was put on lock down to contain the COVID-19 pandemic have until Sunday 8pm to travel. Speaking on Saturday, Government Spokesperson Col. Cyrus Oguna said the decision had been made to allow Kenyans stranded away from their work places to travel. Oguna further said that cases of individuals seeking treatment within the Zoned area will be addressed on a case by case basis, adding that those travelling for burial purposes will require a permit from the nearest police station. “We know that some of us were locked out or inside the five counties, but the government in its wisdom has decided the Government has allowed for a transition period until tomorrow 28th March 2021 outside the curfew period. This applies to college students as well,” said Oguna. The government spokesperson further stated that those holding SGR or airplane tickets have until midday Monday, March 29 to travel after which all SGR and domestic flights in and out of the Zoned area shall be suspended. Meanwhile, individuals holding curfew passes will continue using the old ones until new ones are issued next week. President Uhuru Kenyatta on Friday banned movement into and out of Nairobi, Kajiado, Machakos, Kiambu and Nakuru Counties following a spike in the number of COVID-19 infections in the five regions. The cessation of movement into and out of the five counties took effect on Saturday, March 27, 2021 until further notice. Addressing the Nation on the COVID-19 situation in the country, President Kenyatta said Nairobi, Kajiado, Machakos, Kiambu and Nakuru have been declared disease infected areas, noting that they account for 70 percent of the country’s total infections.