Gor crush Bandari on Muhiddin return, Homeboyz go top

Twahir Muhiddin was served to a harsh return in the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) after his side lost to defending champions Gor mahia by 3-0 at the Afraha Sstadium in Nakuru.

Victory for Gor propelled them into second on the KPL table, just a point behind Kakamega Homeboyz who came from behind to defeat Kariobangi Sharks 2-1 at the Kasarani Stadium.

The defending champions started the game on a low speed until on the ninth minute when Tanzanian shot stopper David Mapigano open the score with a long range shot which caught his counterpart Justin Ndikumana unaware who stumbled before fell down with the ball rolling into the net.

Former Gor loanee Shaban Kenga shone for Bandari and had two fine strikes kept out by Mapigano.

One minute before the break Gor’s new acquisition Michael Apudo put his name on the score sheet with another long range to the far post leaving Ndikumana without any help watching for the second time the ball into his net.

Gor coach Steven Pollack introduced Bonface Omondi and Kennedy ‘Agogo’ Otieno and it took the latter just four minutes before adding the third to seal the champions’ victory.

At Kasarani, Homeboyz underlined their title credentials with an impressive comeback victory over the wobbly Sahrks.

Goals by Kennedy Onyango and Ali Bhai in the second half gave Nicholas Muyoti’s men the much needed three points as they continue their quest for the league title.

Kariobangi Sharks started the game on the front foot stringing passes that left the Homeboyz players chasing ghosts. Muluya gave Derrick Onyango and Lwasa Peter their full debuts and the two front attackers were proving each coin spent on them as they combined to the delight of the fans.

With all the Sharks domination,a mix up in the defense between defender Boniface Onyango and goalkeeper Bwire almost sent the dangerous Allan Wanga through save for a last minute miscontrol from the striker.

With all the intensity in their play, Sharks got their goal in the 21st minute after a quick corner between Patillah Omotoh and Boniface Onyango before the defender sent a low shot into the bottom corner leaving goalkeeper Geoffrey Oputi rooted to the ground.

The half wore on slowly with Homeboyz growing steadily into the match. Brian Bwire claiming the plaudits with his saves as he ensured the home team went into the break leading.

Kakamega Homeboyz picked the tempo from where they had left in the opening half with Bwire entangled in a personal battle to keep the prawling Wanga at bay.

However,the Bukhungu based boys were not to be denied in the 58th minute.
Midfield enforcer Ali Bhai sent in a dangerous freekick and with the Sharks defenders all over the place, Kennedy Onyango dived low to head in the equalizer.

The mercurial number ten would be involved again I’m the 82nd minute as he latched onto a long pass to chip over the on rushing Bwire.

Sharks rallied late but Kakamega Homeboyz were not going to be denied the all important three points that sends them top of the table awaiting Tusker’s match against Ulinzi on Sunday.

-Report by Luqman Mahmoud and Harold Odoro


Gor Mahia FC Kakamega Homeboyz KPL Kariobangi Sharks

Leave a Comment


No comments yet.

latest stories