Zarika says WBC title defence in jeopardy over sponsorship
World Boxing Council (WBC) Super Bantamweight champion Fatuma Zarika says lack of sponsorship could derail her title defence bid set for May this year.
Zarika who floored Zambian Catherine Phiri last year in December to hold on to her crown stated she has until May to put her title on the line or risk being stripped of it by the WBC.
The 32-year-old was among those affected by the recent decision by a leading gaming company’s decision to cancel all local partnerships following a tax law spat with the Government.
“I call on corporates and well-wishers to come forth because I have just three months to prepare. I am already training for the bout and hopefully I will get a sponsor in time,” the Iron Fist who became the sixth recipient of the StarTimes/SJAK Sports Personality of the Month on Thursday said.
She also called on authorities to rein in on unscrupulous promoters who boxers into participating in bouts only to walk away with all the match proceeds.
“The promoters organize bouts and ask us to participate promising to pay us only for them to disappear without paying us. That leaves us with aching joints and physical bruises and sustained in the bout but nothing to show for it. I appeal to the government to take stern action against them.”
Last year’s triumph over Phiri took Zarika’s win record to 30, with 17 of those achieved through knock-outs.
No comments yet.